Sunday, July 12, 2009

The GOOD, The BAD, and The UGLY

The GOOD: The Ronald McDonald House is amazing. It is beautiful and fancy and welcoming. Our room is great. There are giant playrooms all over. There's even one connecting to the kitchen so the kids can stay occupied while grownups cook - blessings on whomever was wise enough to plan that. There is a giant big wheel and tricycle track inside since so many kiddos can't be outside. And the people! The volunteers here are great. And we arrived just before a group brought in a giant rib dinner for the families here. The other parents, though, are so far the most wonderful part for me. Ben of course has talked to them all by now, but even I have made a few connections. Because you don't have to explain about how tired or worn down or worried or stressed about being away from home you are. They just know. And that knowledge is a balm.

The BAD: It is 5:30am and the girls are awake. I have no confidence that they are going to adjust to this time change thing. We are all a little discombobulated by it. Who knew that two hours would be so hard for the girls to adjust to?

The UGLY: Last night when we were in line for the aforementioned dinner, I met a woman from Texas who had been here about a week. We chatted a bit as we got our food. I was far from my best. Tired after ten hours of driving, bleary, shaky, rumpled and not fit for making new friends. But I did my best. I got food for Lila and me, and made it to the table where I promptly turned my very full plate upside down on the table when I dropped it. I stood there and stared at it for a minute, my tired brain not quite grasping what had happened. I sighed and felt like crying. Before I could process what to do next, my new friend from Texas and two other moms had rushed over and were cleaning it up and pushing a new plate into my hands and practically shoving me toward the food. Then a few tears did escape. I tried to put enough words together to thank them. The Texas mom said, "Oh honey we've all been there, the only way we get through is helping each other. I know exhaustion when I see it. You eat, take a shower, and get some sleep. You'll feel better tomorrow." And I do. Largely because of that kindness and undestanding. Which circles right back around to the good which is where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment